ASA Lay Language Papers
161st Acoustical Society of America Meeting
Monday, May 23
- “Turning KA-BOOM! Into Ka-boom” (1aNS11) by Michelle E. Swearingen et al.
- “The Relationships Linking Age, Selective Attention, and Frequency Following in the Brainstem” (1aPP7) Dorea R. Ruggles and Barbara Shinn-Cunningham
- “Listening to the Ocean and Marine Life Using a Fiber-optic Monitoring System” (1aAO4) by Sue E. Moore et al.
- “Effects of Excessive Noise and Reverberation on Listening and Learning in a Simulated Classroom” (1pAAa9) by Daniel L. Valente et al.
- “Are We Stressing Flipper? How to Consider the Consequences of Underwater Noise and Other Human Activities on Marine Mammals” (1pABa1) by Andrew J. Wright
- “Biomedical Ultrasound: Making a Quantum Leap in Medicine” (1pID10) by Tyrone M. Porter
- “Deaf Infants’ Attention to Speech after Cochlear Implantation” (1pPP5) by Derek M. Houston
- “Perceptual Leaning in Adults with Reading Disorders: A Perpetual Adolescence?” (1pPP6) by Beverly A. Wright et al.
- “Identifying Sexual Orientation of Speakers When Presented With Only Their Voice” (1pSC19) by Erik C. Tracy and Nicholas Satariano
Tuesday, May 24
- “Studying Hard and Easy Sounds With Drunken Speech” (2aSC33) by Abby Kaplan
- “Studying the Effects of Man-made Noise on Marine Animals” (2aUWb1 and 3pED3) by Christine Erbe
- “Using Bubbles to Reduce Underwater Noise” (2aUWb11) by Kevin M. Lee et al.
- “Silencing Your Car With a Hybrid Muffler” (2pPA12) by Rong Bi et al.
- “How the Weather Affects the Scale of Urban Noise Pollution” (2pNS3) by Nick C. Ovenden et al.
- “Why do Blind Listeners Use Visual Cortex for Understanding Ultra-fast Speech?” (2pSC6) by Susanne Dietrich et al.
Wednesday, May 25
- “Why do Weddell Seals Shout” (3aABa2) by Jack Terhune
- “Feeling With Your Ears and Hearing With Your Hands” (3aPP4) by Jeffrey M. Yau et al.
- “Unusual Instruments” by (3aMU3) by Garry M. Kvistad
- “Evolution of Music Wire and its Impact on the Development of the Piano” (3aMU6) by Nicholas Giordano
- “Wind Turbine Noise – Clues to the Mystery of Why People are Hurting” (3aNSa2) by William K.G. Palmer
- “Wind Turbine Noise Regulations at State and Local Levels” (3aNSa5) by Isaac H.C. Old et al.
- “Feeling Sounds” (3aPP5) by Tony Ro
- “'How Did She Say That?’ An Examination of Male-to-female Transgender Voice Physiology” (3aSC19) by Adrienne B. Hancock et al.
- “Building the Oceanic Concert Hall: The Many Applications of Acoustics for Ocean Observing Systems” (3pID4) by Brian D. Dushaw
- “Understanding the Perceptual Effects of Diffuser Application in Rooms” (3aAAa7) by Phillip W. Robinson et al.
"Laser sensing techniques for acoustic detection of buried mines" (3aEAa1) by Vyacheslav Aranchuk et al.
Thursday, May 26
- “Demonstrating the Effect of Air Temperature on Wind Instrument Tuning” (4aED1) by Randy Worland
- “Soundscape Tour of San Francisco” (4pAA1) by Dennis A. Paoletti
- “An Experience Reducing Toilet Flushing Noise Reaching Adjacent Offices” (4pAAb4) by Noral D. Stewart
- “Spacecraft Damage-detection System for Human Habitation Modules” (4pEA2) by Robert D. Corsaro et al.
Friday, May 27
- “Effects of Noise on Emergency Department Staff” (5aAA5) by Arun Mahapatra et al.
- “Measuring How Acoustical Environments Affect Staff in Health-Care Facilities?” (5aAA6) by Murray Hodgson et al.
- “Novel, Noninvasive Diagnostic Technique for Patient Monitoring and Imaging” (5aBA3) Rinat Esenaliev et al.
- “Photoacoustic Imaging and Detection of Circulating Tumor Cells” (5aBA5) by Matthew O’Donnell and Xiaohu Gao
- “Advanced Acoustics Video Demonstrations for High School and Higher Education Curriculums: Longitudinal Wave Motion Videos” (5zED3) by Robert Astrom
- “How Can We Prevent Hearing Loss When There is Loud Noise at Work?” (5aNS4) by Thais C. Morata
- “The Sources and Effects of Motorcycle Noise” (5aNS12) by Michael Carley et al.
- “Spectral Filtering Characteristics of a Motorcycle Helmet” (5aNS14) by Ian Walker et al.
- “Acoustics Properties of Natural Gas Hydrates and the Geophysical Assessment of the Subsurface Distribution of Hydrates in the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic” (5aPA1) by William Shedd et al.
- “Rotating Multibeam Sonar Scanner (ROSSCAN) for oily bubble plume mapper in plume mapping and monitoring” (5aPA4) by Ira Leifer et al.
- “Motorcycle Helmets and the Frequency Dependence of Temporary Hearing Threshold Shift” (5aPP1) by Nigel Holt et al.
- “Using Spectral Constancy to Improve Cochlear Implant Melody Recognition” (5aPP13) by Duo Zhang et al.
- “Men Imitate Women, and Women Imitate Men – The Effect of Gender, Emotion, and Acoustics on Speech Imitation” (5aSC3) by Alexis Black
- “Adaptive Learning of Voice Quality Behavior as a Possible Cause of Muscle Tension Dysphonia” (5aSC14) by Kari Urberg Carlson et al.
- “Your Words are Music to My Ears: How a Musician’s Brain Represents Speech” (5aSC18) by McNeel G. Jantzen
- “Understanding Casual Speech” (5pSC17) by Dan Brenner et al.
- “Bring Music Back to Life for Cochlear Implant Patients” (5aPP15) by Xing Li et al.
- “Perceived Imitation of Regional Dialects” (5aSC2) Sara C. Phillips and Cynthia G. Clopper
- “Why is Understanding Foreign Accents So Hard?” (5aSC22) by Alison M. Trude and Sarah Brown-Schmidt
- “Rhythmic Speech Perception Shows How Music Novices ‘Compose’ (in English and French)” (5pSC5) by John G. Neuhoff and Pascale Lidji