What is DBIS?
Discoveries and Breakthroughs Inside Science (DBIS) is a syndicated science
and engineering news service for local television newscasts.
- Twelve 90-second segments are produced per month
- Each segment is reviewed for scientific accuracy
- DBIS features a broad range of topics in engineering, science, technology
Why does DBIS work?
- Local TV news is the primary source of information for a majority of the
US public (60% US public according to a Pew 2004 study)
- 44% of the US public cites TV news as their primary source of science and
technology news (NSF 2004 Indicators)
- Local TV news audience is less likely to have alternative sources of science
- DBIS reports on science, technology, engineering and math news – demonstrating
the role of science and engineering in society.and in our daily lives
Who produces DBIS?
Where and when do DBIS segments play?
NSF supports DBIS
- Two segments each month are delivered in Spanish to 37 Spanish-language stations.
- DBIS’s web component furnishes more information on the science and
engineering behind the story.
- A comprehensive evaluation plan analyzes the program's effectiveness.