Executive Committee of the American Institute of Physics
Minutes of Meeting
March 13, 1949
Present: George R. Harrison (Chairman), F. W. Loomis, Wallace Waterfall, George B. Pegram
Absent: Paul E. Klopsteg
AIP Staff: Henry A. Barton, Betty Hofstadter
The Executive Committee met at 3:30 p.m., March 13, 1949, during a recess of the meeting of the Governing Board.
1. Appointment of Committees:
The Director reported that certain committees whose term expired at the current Governing Board meeting should be reappointed. On motion made, seconded, and unanimously carried, the Chairman was empowered to reappoint the following committees:
- Committee for Election of Associate Members
- Trustees of Pension Plan
- Pension Committee
- Publications Board
- Committee on Physics Abstracts
- Committee on Donors’ Tablet
- Advisory Committee for PHYSICS TODAY
- Finance Committee
- Committee to Promote Associate Membership
- Committee to Arrange Meeting of Representatives of Physics Departments
- Committee on Cooperation with the Military Establishment
2. The Secretary reported that the revenue received from charging for assistance at Society meetings is negligible and recommended that a limited amount of such assistance be provided without charge. After some discussion, the following motion was made, seconded, and unanimously carried:
MOVED that the Institute provide the help of two persons at Member Society meetings, charging only for traveling or out-of-pocket expenses. Additional help may be secured through the Institute at cost.
3. Next Meeting:
The date for the next meeting of the Executive Committee was tentatively set for Thursday, May 26.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 p.m.