The Statistical Research Center collects, analyzes and disseminates data on education and employment in physics and related fields. We are your source for reliable data on:
- Enrollments and degrees at all levels of education in physics, astronomy and related fields from high school through the PhD.
- Demographic profiles of physics faculty in high schools, 2-year colleges, 4-year colleges, and universities.
- Common career paths of physicists and astronomers with bachelor's degrees, master's degrees or PhDs.
- Workforce dynamics including unemployment, underemployment, staff turnover, retirement and the number of positions available.
- Issues that cut across education and employment such as the representation of women and minorities in physics and related fields.
We also contract with professional societies to carry out surveys on topics of particular concern to their organizations, including:
- Profiles of professional society membership.
- Studies of the benefits of society membership.
- Salaries and employment prospects in specific fields.
Senior staff and their areas of expertise:
Roman Czujko, Director, rczujko [at] aip [dot] org or 301-209-3080
- Employment and career paths in physics and STEM
- Representation of minorities in physics and allied fields
- Surveys of the members of scientific societies
- Surveys of authors, reviewers and readers of scientific journals
Rachel Ivie, Associate Director, rivie [at] aip [dot] org or 301-209-3081
- Physics and astronomy faculty in 4-year institutions
- International trends
- Women in physics
- Questionnaire design
Susan White, Research Manager, swhite [at] aip [dot] org or 301-209-3056
- High school physics teachers or students
- Physics faculty in 2-year colleges
- Trends in academe for a broad set of disciplines
- Statistical methods
Patrick Mulvey, Lead Research Associate, pmulvey [at] aip [dot] org or 301-209-3076
- Degrees awarded (bachelor’s, master’s or PhDs) in physics and astronomy
- Student enrollment trends at the undergraduate or graduate level
- Initial employment of recent bachelor’s degree recipients in physics and astronomy
- Initial employment of recent physics and astronomy PhDs
Judith Mulvey, Statistics Project Coordinator, jmulvey [at] aip [dot] org or 201-209-3070
- Products and services the Statistical Research Center offers, e.g. mailing lists
- General inquiries or when you are unsure of whom to contact with your question