The Federation Assembly facilitates federation and Member Society collaboration and collective action, and informs AIP’s work to advance the success of its Member Societies. The Federation Assembly is a mechanism by which Member Societies bring concerns and priorities to the forefront. It makes recommendations to the AIP CEO, advising on federation actions and AIP activities that support the shared mission.
Role and Scope
The Federation Assembly is a transparent and flexible convening body that enables AIP Member Societies to consult one another and coordinate on issues of shared interest or concern. The Federation Assembly serves as a platform for building a strong, collaborative community that undertakes collective action in pursuit of shared impact. It brings issues and challenges, both external and internal, to AIP’s attention and makes recommendations about areas that AIP and the federation might address. The Federation Assembly also provides insight about how AIP activities affect the Member Societies and shares information about Member Society activities.
Federation Assembly Delegates represent the interests of their respective Member Societies. The Federation Assembly is not a governing body; it does not have authority to force AIP action, nor does it have financial or fiduciary responsibilities to AIP. Delegates may serve in other roles with responsibilities to AIP, for example as an AIP Board Director or as a Member Society Representative, but those duties do not extend to their Federation Assembly role.
Each Member Society is a voting member of the Federation Assembly with one vote per Member Society. AIP is represented on the Federation Assembly in a non-voting ex officio capacity.
American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)
- Angela R. Keyser, AAPM Executive Director
- Ehsan Samei, Duke University / 2023 AAPM President
American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT)
- Beth A. Cunningham, AAPT Chief Executive Officer
- Gabe Spalding, Illinois Wesleyan University / AAPT Vice President
American Astronomical Society (AAS)
- Kevin B. Marvel, AAS Executive Officer
- Louis-Gregory Strolger, Space Telescope Science Institute / AAS At-Large Trustee
ACA: The Structural Science Society
- Kristin H. Stevens, ACA Executive Director
- Kushol Gupta, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania / ACA Secretary
Acoustical Society of America (ASA)
- Susan E. Fox, ASA Executive Director
- Judy Dubno, Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston / ASA Past President
American Meteorological Society (AMS)
- Stella Kafka, AMS Executive Director
- Richard Clark, Millersville University / AMS 2022 President
American Physical Society (APS)
- Jonathan A. Bagger, APS Chief Executive Officer
- Robert Rosner, University of Chicago / APS President / Federation Assembly Vice-Chair
AVS: Science and Technology of Materials, Interfaces, and Processing
- Yvonne Towse, AVS Chief Operating Officer
- Amy V. Walker, University of Texas / AVS Past-President / Federation Assembly Chair
- Liz A. Rogan, Optica Chief Executive Officer
- Elizabeth Nolan, Deputy Executive Director & Chief Publishing Officer, Optica
Society of Rheology (SOR)
- Anne Grillet, Sandia National Laboratories / SOR President
- Jonathan P. Rothstein, University of Massachusetts, Amherst / SOR Vice President
American Institute of Physics (AIP-ex-officio)
- Michael Moloney, Chief Executive Officer
- David Helfand, Columbia University / AIP Board Chair
- James Taylor, Chief Federation Officer / Federation Assembly Executive Secretary
- Federation Assembly Charter
- Federation Assembly Operating Principles, (guides day-to-day functioning of the body)
For any questions about the Federation Assembly, please contact the AIP Federation Office at [email protected].