With the announcement of the 2013 Nobel Prize in physics just over a week away on Tuesday October 8, 2013, we wanted to see how much you know about past winners! Take our short 7 question quiz below and let us know via facebook or twitter how you did using #AIPNobel!
Beware: Answers are at the bottom of the page, so don’t scroll down until you’re ready to find out!
- Who won the Nobel Prize in physics in 2012 and for what discovery/accomplishment?
- Who was the youngest Nobel Laureate in physics and how old were they when they won?
- What is the average age of a Nobel Laureate in physics and is it older or younger than the average age of all Laureates?
- How many women have won Nobel Prizes in physics and what is their name(s)?
- Who is the only person to have won multiple Nobel Prizes in physics?
- How many sets of families have won Nobel Prizes in physics either together or separately and can you name them?
- How many times and in what year(s) was the Nobel Prize in physics not awarded?
Stay tuned to the AIP website for the announcement on the morning of October 8th to find out this year’s winner(s)!
- Serge Haroche and David J. Wineland for "ground-breaking experimental methods that enable measuring and manipulation of individual quantum systems"
- Lawrence Bragg won at 25 years old in 1915 for "for their services in the analysis of crystal structure by means of X-rays"
- Physics Laureates are on average 55, a full 4 years younger than the average age of all Nobel Laureates at 59
- 2 - Marie Curie (1903), who won both in physics & chemistry and Maria Goeppert-Mayer (1963) Bonus points if you know what happened the year Goeppert-Mayer won!
- John Bardeen won twice in 1956 and 1972 for his work with semiconductors/transistor effect and superconductivity/BCS theory, respectively
- 5! - Marie & Pierre Curie (1903); William & Lawrence Bragg (1915); Niels Bohr (1922) & Aage Bohr (1975); Manne Siegbahn (1924) & Kai M. Siegbahn (1981); J. J. Thomson (1906) & George Paget Thomson (1937)
- 6 - it wasn't awarded in 1916, 1931, 1934, 1940, 1941, 1942