Emilio Segrè Visual Archives

More than 30,000 photos of scientists and their work

White Milton F1

Share This

Share/Save

White Milton F1

How will you use this image ?
Select one of the following options.
Individual Use
Not-for-profit Use
For-profit Use (educational only)
Not sure yet

We charge a usage fee per photo if the photo is published, reproduced in a product or publicly exhibited. This is not a license in the legal sense. As a non-profit institution, we do not make any money providing these photographs. It is only by assessing usage fees that we are able to cover the cost of providing publication quality copies of our photos, preserving the photograph collection according to archival standards, and providing access to the collection by maintaining an online image database. The copyright holder may charge a fee in addition to our service fee.

Images are for use in educational projects only and must be used in a respectful manner.

$20.00
Image title: 
Milton White standing by the 60-inch cyclotron at the University of California's Lawrence Radiation Laboratory
Credit line: 
Science Service, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, courtesy of AIP Emilio Segrè Visual Archives, Fermi Film Collection
Description: 

Photograph shows the 'east' side of the 60-inch cyclotron in the University of California's Lawrence Radiation Laboratory, Berkeley, in August, 1939, about 10 weeks after it began operating. Dr. Milton G. White, then a graduate student and now a professor of physics at Princeton University, is shown in the photograph. Professor White took part in the first confirmation in this country, using an earlier cyclotron, of the disintegration of lithium, originally achieved by English scientists Cockroft and Walton. Behind White is some of the equipment with which Luis Alvarez and Robert Cornog discovered helium 3. The paint cans at left are piled in front of the control room to control radiation at that point. Later the machine was surrounded by thick tanks of water for the same purpose. The photograph was taken by Dr. Donald Cooksey, assoicate director of the Laboratory, ermitus. This cyclotron was dismantled in 1962, and the magnet was sent to the Davis campus of the University for use in a modern cyclotron.

Original format: 
3 photographic prints (black and white; 10 x 8 inches and 7 x 5 inches)
Person(s): 
White, Milton Grandison, 1910-1979