As a next step to the launch of our very successful report, The Time is Now: Systemic Changes to Increase African Americans with Bachelor’s Degrees in Physics & Astronomy, the TEAM-UP project is organizing two workshops, several months apart to help departments begin implementing the report’s recommendations. Additionally, the TEAM-UP project will work with departmental teams before and after the workshops to provide resources, support, and community engagement.
TEAM-UP Implementation Workshops:
- Workshop 1 (virtual) – January 28-29, 2021
- Workshop 2 (virtual) – July 29, 2021
- Physics and astronomy departmental teams (Teams should include students, faculty and/or administrators at various levels)
- Departments committed to tackling barriers to African American student belonging and success in their departments using the TEAM-UP Report recommendations
- Departments wanting help to build a framework for plans and actions that focus on African American student outcomes
Benefits to the Department
During the TEAM-UP report implementation workshops physics and astronomy departments will gain the following:
- A deeper understanding of the findings and recommendations in the TEAM-UP report
- Support in examining departmental environments and practices that contribute to or detract from African American student success
- A better understanding of racial equity in academic settings
- Support in building strategic frameworks for action plans to attract and retain African American students through bachelor’s degree attainment
- Learn about and become eligible to receive resources to undertake this work.
- Opportunity to integrate and expand on work done with APS IDEA, SEA Change, and EP3.
Questions? Please contact Arlene Modeste Knowles, aknowles [at] aip.org
This effort is generously supported by a grant from: