The American Institute of Physics is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit membership corporation. AIP's mission is to advance, promote and serve the physical sciences for the benefit of humanity.
As a federation of physical science societies, AIP offers programs, products and services that:
- Advance and distribute the knowledge of the physical sciences and its applications;
- Enhance and cultivate the physical sciences disciplines;
- Enable and foster collaborative efforts among stakeholders in the physical sciences; and
- Promote the physical sciences to the public, leaders, government officials, agencies, and the media.
AIP Member Societies cover a broad range of fields in the physical sciences and collectively represent more than 120,000 scientists, engineers, educators and students in the global physical sciences community.
AIP offers authoritative information, services, and expertise in physics education and student programs, science communication, government relations, career services for science and engineering professionals, statistical research in physics employment and education, industrial outreach, and the history of physics and allied fields. AIP also publishes the flagship magazine Physics Today and is home to the Society of Physics Students and the Niels Bohr Library and Archives. AIP owns AIP Publishing LLC, a scholarly publisher in the physical and related sciences.
For more information, see the Quick Guide to AIP Products & Services
Goals & core activities
- Supporting our Member Societies to benefit the collective membership and the broader scientific community. Member and Affiliated Society representatives gather each year for the Assembly of Society Officers.
- Advancing the science of physics with reliable science news and information.
- Tracking employment and education trends through statistical reports that have charted the progress of physics for more than six decades.
- Fostering connections between science and industry by creating strong ties between corporate leaders and the larger physics community.
- Preserving the past through the archival collections and outreach programs of AIP's Center for History of Physics.
- Mentoring tomorrow's physicists through support of undergraduate physics, as well as initiatives to shape and energize science education.
- Promoting science in the public realm by advocating sound science policy to Congress, and through outreach to the general public.
About AIP Publishing LLC
AIP Publishing LLC provides the global physical science community with a comprehensive collection of highly cited peer reviewed scientific information. Accessed by researchers at nearly 4,000 institutions worldwide, AIP Publishing’s portfolio includes prestigious titles such as Applied Physics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics and The Journal of Chemical Physics, and the AIP Conference Proceedings series. AIP Publishing also publishes on behalf of several of AIP’s Member Societies and other publishing partners.
Goals and core activities
- Advancing the physical sciences as publisher of leading research journals and conference proceedings.
- Advancing the AIP Member Societies by providing efficient publishing services and systems for essential society functions.